Tuesday, June 16, 2009

The Day God Planned for Me

I left home around 10 with intentions of dropping off a package at the post office, paying a bill, updating my military status and getting my car inspected. This was a little more ambitious than I thought. I pulled number 43 at the post office - only 3 in front of me - great - this should be quick. Number 41 walked up with his package - and only a package - no tape, and no address! Meanwhile a disgruntled number 42 decided to fill my ear with his thoughts about number 41. I waited a full 10 minutes with my tiny little sealed, addressed, package. Ok - now let's go to the bank to pay my bill. This time the wait would be longer - 10 in front of me. I got comfortable, reading a good book. Meanwhile I watched a teenager walk in and right up to counter to be seen. Not sure what was going on there. I decided to get some information for my next stop with the guy after me as we clearly had some time. He was well-intentioned and being new in town- I believed him. After 30 minutes at the bank, my agenda took me across town, across the bridge, into down town Florianopolis. I arrived at the military joint only to find it closed for lunch. So I had some food and headed back an hour later. Sargeant Djalma kindly informed me that my need would take me back across town - close to where I began. Ok - here we go. I arrived at a very small office - one desk, two computers, and 4 employees - 2 outside smoking - 2 helping another person. My sense was that of an invisible man. My need seemed to take a back seat to any distraction in the room - phone, mail, interesting conversations of any sort. After a good while, my situation was made clear and simple. Here's what you will do: I need a copy of your social security, your license, a proof of residence, your birth certificate, your military document, and a picture. All this simply to do internet research on my situation which could take anywhere from 3 days to a month. Ok - that makes sense. "Just another 45 minutes and you will be set to go." Let's go get a car inspection - this should be quick! Honestly, an hour and a half went by quick in light of the rest of the day! I'm also not suprised that I've failed the inspection. "Just head back once you've made this $100 fix and we can sign you off."

If you've read this far and think I'm venting - your wrong. I strongly believe that God planned this 8 hour adventure, to prepare me for 1 hour this evening. I arrived home looking forward to some fellowship with my brother and family. God decided to wrap up the day by bringing a freind to the gate - who came for a Bible study. How did my day prepare me for this? I confess that for part of the day - I objected God's sovereign plan for me. There seemed to be a conspiracy against the flow of my day - let's slow it down - however possible. By the end of the day though, the Lord had granted me an incredible level of patience to sit down and calmly share His Gospel graciously. The result: a clear understanding of the cross, repentence, and faith. Glory be to God. He has crafted my day for His purpose and for my good. My advice to you: never take a bad day for granted!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Awesome! This really encouraged me.
-Leah

Marcelo Fonsêca said...

Apesar das circustâncias da vida, tenha paciência, pois Deus está contigo. O resultado será a benção do nosso glorioso Deus.

Amy Hatfield said...

Thanks for sharing this story!

Gretchen said...

great post! It was REALLY well written, and encouraging. Thanks, Dave.