Friday, January 4, 2008

Genesis 14:22-23

But Abram said to the king of Sodom, " I have lifted my hand (promised) to the Lord, God Most High, Possessor (Creator) of heaven and earth, that I would not take a thread or a sandal strap or anything that is yours, lest you should say, 'I have made Abram rich'."

The thought stuck me this morning. Abram made a promise, or lifted up the name of the Lord for divine purposes and glory. Maybe you have made a list of goals and resolutions for this new year. Have you stopped to write down beside them the why I have made these goals? What is the bottom line reason for them? Do they make you feel better about yourself? Do they make God the object of full glory?

3 comments:

James and Christen said...

Great point bro! That's kind what I think of Edwards' resolutions, because they tend to exalt God. Even the best of resolutions like ministry goals or personal spiritual growth goals can be self-exalting. We are so desperately wicked, aren't we? Great thought from Genesis. Had not noticed that before.

James

Gretchen said...

Good question . . .

Hey, we recently had an invite to stay in D.C.

We need to plan something!

Sent you guys your power cord today.

Anonymous said...

Those a great questions to ask "self" and ponder over.
Jonna